Monday, August 11, 2008

The Loss of the Shaft Mastermind

I'm no obituary writer, but this is a shout out to one of my favorite artists who kicked the bucket yesterday afternoon, and I mean this in the most polite manner, Isaac Hayes. Before my trip to Memphis a couple months ago, I had only a vague knowledge of his career. However, after the enlightening soul and funk, blues and country experience, I know better, and thank goodness for that. The original P.I.M.P. is how I like to think of him. While I was in Memphis, I witnessed the set of a movie at the historic Peabody Hotel. After asking a man and woman both with very Rastafarian-esque hair, I was informed that the movie starred both Bernie Mac, and Isaac Hayes. Unfortunately, both have passed now, and I wonder what will happen to the movie. Did they ever finish shooting it? I found this tid-bit of information ironic, and slightly disheartening. It's always a little more eerie when death occurs after a personal account.  

No comments: